Order the book here
Osservatorio Cortina 2021 is an artistic research project in which the territory and the events planned for the 2021 Alpine Ski World Championship in Cortina were examined through photography. In their artistic research, which took three years, two artists, Gianpaolo Arena and Marina Caneve, documented the key moments in the construction of the sports event, while at the same time observing the territory and its history with an open, inquisitive, and exploratory attitude, seeking links between sports and the territory.
Cortina’s shared imaginary often reproduces iconic expectations that support the wishes of its visitors, rather than offering new keys to interpretation for its territory and society. Can this approach be offset by offering renewed attention to a landscape that has become a sort of crystallized icon within an image?
This study involved the work of the creative agency Vulcano that supported the project from the start. Its intention was to trigger a new process of cross-pollination, aimed at developing a more complete gaze over Cortina and its territory, through contemporary photography.
- Giulia Ticozzi in conversazione con Gianpaolo Arena e Marina Caneve | Giulia Ticozzi in conversation with Gianpaolo Arena and Marina Caneve
- La Valle tra le Cime e le Stelle | The Valley between Peaks and Stars
- Archivio | Archive
- Infinite rappresentazioni | Endless Portrayals
- Inverno | Winter
- Estate | Summer
- Infrastrutture | Infrastructures
- Impianti | Lifts
- Campioni | Champions
- Saggi | Essays
- Benedetta Cestelli Guidi, L’immagine e la montagna: la lunga durata di una possibile astrazione | The Image and the Mountain: The Long Duration of a Possible Abstraction
- Francesco Bergamo, Mountain Song
- Stefano Munarin, Alla ricerca del paesaggio che vogliamo essere | Searching for the landscape that we’d like to be
- Antonio De Rossi, La strada delle Dolomiti, quintessenza della modernità alpina | The Road in the Dolomites. The Quintessence of Alpine Modernity
- Davide Maffei, L'eredità del pensiero di Edoardo Gellner | The Legacy of Edoardo Gellner’s Thinking
- Giovanni La Varra, Un futuro a venire. Arcipelago Cortina | The Upcoming Future. Archipelago Cortina
- Fondazione Cortina 2021: Dialogo con Valerio Giacobbi, Marco Follador / Nicola Menardi, Susanna Sieff | Dialogue with Valerio Giacobbi, Marco Follador / Nicola Menardi, Susanna Sieff
- Notizie sugli autori | About the authors